6.13.2016

HAPPY ENDINGS

My Sweet Baboo and I have been Netflix-ing recently--sometimes watching two episodes back to back.  I draw the line at three.  We're not binge-ing, but it's close enough for my taste.  The object of this near-obsession is a series called "Longmire."  Walt Longmire, tall, rugged, blondish, is the sheriff of an isolated county tucked somewhere in rural Wyoming.  Which, frankly, means it could be anywhere. To locate it more specifically, it's next door to a fictional Cheyenne Indian Reservation or, "The Rez" as it's referred to by everyone, including the residents of The Rez.  Personally, I think that's a little disrespectful, but then again I grew up with Democrats.

I watched "Longmire" primarily because my Baboo is a fan of western movies, television series and books.  You could add leather vests, cowboy boots and cattle to that list.  Each of those things played a role sometime in the first two or three episodes, and he was hooked.  I was more taken with Walt Longmire himself.  He exhibited an extremely high degree of integrity, kindness and practicality which, for me are all good things.  Walt did something exceptionally thoughtful at least once during each episode, thus satisfying my need for high-mindedness during this current political season.

Unfortunately, despite the rural-ness of the area, there were an inordinate number of felonies committed during each episode.  Murders were commonplace, kidnappings frequent, fraud, corruption, robbery...everyday happenings.  I most enjoyed, though, the glimpse of Cheyenne life at the Reservation...the old ways in such conflict with the new.  Eye-opening, instructive and depressing...all in the same episode.

After five seasons, we think Longmire ended last night, but we're not sure.  One does not find neat ribbons tying up loose ends in Longmire's world. Maybe a little rustic bow here or there, but much is left to fester and question. And, I don't like that.  I want neat endings.  I want "An Affair to Remember" (Cary Grant version) endings.  And not just with movies and television series.  What about life?  There are a lot of messy endings in life.  I've had a couple of those myself, but eventually you dust yourself off and, against your better judgement, go out and try again.

I hope Longmire has had time to dust himself off by now.  He was such a nice, ethical guy and I miss him. I'd like to know for sure that he's walking happily into that great big Wyoming sunset.    

3 comments:

  1. Netflix can be addictive. My guy and I watched House of Cards a few weeks ago—episode after episode after episode! Then they packed it up unil the next season, so we wait. Never got into Longmire. But we might try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! We loved House of Cards--that's a hard one to stop watching. We thought it might be over--but we're thrilled there is another season...it may never end!! Just keep feeding on itself. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you share our enthusiasm for House of Cards. Kevin Spacey is the glue that holds it together. Love it when he turns around and speaks directly to the audience!

    ReplyDelete