8.11.2014

"THE GOLDFINCH"

Oops!  I'm afraid I have been found out.  Busted.  Exposed to the world.  It appears that BC, my sweet caregiver, after nearly three weeks of cooking, cleaning and miscellaneous laundry duty, suspects that I have been malingering.  Moi? Malingering?

My defense--and, frankly, I would submit that you might be doing the exact same thing if you, like me, had both the excuse (training a new hip, for example) and a really great, and very long book at your side all hours of the day and night.  Those two circumstances call for a little "lay down" every once in awhile in a comfortable bed with some intellectual entertainment, which, God knows, daytime TV is not going to provide.  The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt fit the bill to perfection.

I think The Goldfinch is categorized as Literary Fiction and I'm learning I like Literary Fiction.  I'm not going to pretend I understand everything I've read in this book, but I do enjoy a meaty story.  And, for me, The Goldfinch has been meaty, plus neat and tidy, and most expertly written.  I've been thinking about the flow of life over the past week or two (it's the Life Coach, you know) and Tartt's book, populated by her unique characters, flows.  Sometimes, that flow is tortuous and twisting, turning and winding around on itself.  But occasionally, we can lean back and enjoy blessed stretches of smooth water even if, ever so subtly, we perceive the muted roar of deadly rapids just ahead. 

As for those characters?  They are legion.  And, as far as describing them I'm at a loss because, silly as it sounds, they are so realistic they become indescribable. They are by turn generous and selfish; lovable but disappointing; kind and conniving; mysterious and nefarious with occasional glimpses of a soul.  Actually though, I loved that they were complex.  For me, that makes a good book...although I so wanted to interrupt Theo from time to time and ask him to please rethink that latest really bad decision.  I don't believe there was a single "flat" character in this book, with the possible exception of Theo's father who, in my opinion, had no redeeming values.  None.         

Because I'm in love with New York City, and much of the book takes place there, I fell into it immediately.  I could easily imagine the street scenes that Theo described, the buildings he walked past, the park with its memories of his mother, and the characters hanging out on nearly every corner.  It was as if I were there beside him smelling the flowers, speaking above the din, and watching the trees slowly fade into winter.

The book turns darker when Theo's father makes an unexpected (and unwelcome) appearance in order to re-connect with Theo and take him back to Las Vegas where he is currently hanging out.  I'm not a Las Vegas fan.  I live about four hours from Sin City and, in all honesty, I'll probably never visit there.  But, Tartt's descriptions of Las Vegas were spot on.  She nailed the abandoned housing development (3,000 square foot stucco behemoths in all stages of construction; dirt lots scraped bare; trash flying in the unrelenting wind.)  We saw that here in the west valley of Phoenix and it's as depressing as Theo's life during the long months before he was able to grab the dog and escape back to New York.  Tartt can set the scene and create atmosphere.  No doubt about it.

No, I haven't forgotten the Goldfinch...although as I read I would sometimes turn page after page and not think of him at all.  But, he is an insidious little creature and always manages to come to the forefront again and again creating yet another round of lust or anger or hate or lies or...murder. Obviously, that makes for a good read.  A really good read.  I'm eager to see what the rest of the Book Club thinks.  We're a close-knit but diverse group.  It will be interesting.

Love to All--
Margie

No comments:

Post a Comment