1.09.2015

CHECKING IN

We drove onto our driveway late Tuesday afternoon, smiling as we watched the outdoor air temperature gauge on our car register 78 beautiful, blessed degrees.  We were overwhelmingly grateful for each of those 78 indicators of pure bliss and comfort.  We were HOME.

Not for a minute would I want to suggest that we didn't enjoy our 19 day drive through the middle of the country during one of its coldest early-winter seasons in decades...well, years at least.  Nor, for a minute would I want to suggest that I wasn't grateful for the opportunity to bond even more closely with BC as we spent hours and hours together in our smallish luxury car.  That would be luxury as defined by the English, which does include beautiful leather and highly polished wood-trim.  It does not, however, extend to cushy seats or a gentle ride.  Because I am the one who chose this car a year ago, I stepped up and bought the Ibuprofen we so badly needed on our long-drive days.

Being something of a statistics person and, during a particularly dull stretch of the road, I figured that since we were spending 19 days on the road, during which we would drive 4,161 miles,  we would average 219 miles per day. But, because we were only driving long stretches for eight of those days, the figure was closer to 520 miles per driving day.  Either figure now sounds crazy for old people!

As I got more into the statistics thing, I noted that we spent our nights in four different homes in four different states.  All of the states were cold.  All of the states lay under the proverbial blanket of snow.

We spent the remaining nights in four different hotels in two additional states.  Those states were also cold and snowy.  Everyplace, beginning south of Flagstaff on Day #1, until back in Flagstaff on Day #19 was cold and snowy.  Some were also windy.

Obviously, we packed and unpacked daily.  We packed and unpacked in eight different states, misplaced one credit card and lost one bra.  How do you lose a bra?  And, for me, what's worse is that it was a very old bra that had seen its better days...you know, the kind your mother told you not to wear in case you were in an accident.  Well, I did, and now it's missing and I'm afraid someone may be able to trace it to me.  And, yes, even at my advanced age I can hear my mother lecturing: "I told you so."

But, then again, this trip was a totally worthwhile, so glad we did it adventure.  Why?  We had a few days to hug our five grown children and the five children-in-law. We had hours to laugh and learn with ten adult grandchildren, two grandsons-in-law, and one prospective grandson-in-law. We could snuggle and cuddle with three young grandchildren and two greats--the smallest of whom enjoyed it so much, she and her blankie took up residence in our bed at 2:30 one dark and quiet morning.  We spent precious time with one aging brother and sister-in-law, plus their numerous grands and greats.

And now, we're safe, and we're home, filled with memories for the months ahead.  I'd do it again--only with heavier long-undies.

Happy New Year!   

2 comments:

  1. As always, I enjoyed your write up and we loved having you and being a part of that chilly tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home and warm again. Glad the generalist is back online!

    ReplyDelete