5.07.2014

AGE & STAGE


Sometimes, even though I have the best of intentions, I feel a little old and out of touch.  Out of touch with what, you may wonder.  Well, technology is always a good choice to feel out of touch with.  I find lots of kindred souls under that subject heading.  It's a frequent topic of our conversations, and a persistent  fear that, at some point, we will be left behind--never to catch up--if we don't learn the latest and greatest.  That (and the infamous second glass of wine) has kept many of us awake at night.

My newest challenge is Twitter.  I have tweeted 53 times since June of 2010.  Obviously, I'm not a big user, so it's not a huge surprise that until Twitter, out of the kindness of its chirpy little heart, offered its members the opportunity to personalize their Home Page, that I realized I had a Twitter Home Page.  Well, I'm on it now.  They have said:  "Make This Space Yours.  Add a Photo."  Well, thank you, Twitter.  I think I will.  I'm kind of enjoying this whole "me, me, me" social media thing.

Now to the challenge of making "This Space" mine.  I know exactly which photo I'll use. It's a picture from our Canadian cruise of the sails on the boat that was taking us around Halifax.  I love that photo.  It even has a little bird in the lower right hand corner who, unfortunately, is flying out of the picture rather than into it.  If I was really smart I could turn him around, but that won't happen for awhile.

Next, the directions read, the photo needs to be sized to no more than 1500 by 300 pixels.  And, believe it or not, I kind of know what that means.  Despite the fact I scored "lower than average confidence" when I participated in an on-line research project recently, I was exuding every bit of it on this Twitter Challenge.  I gathered up the photo (a victory in itself), and carefully resized it, only to realize...the photo looked like hell.  A long narrow Twitter Home Page Photo Spot just does not work with a full set of sails.  You can have the bottom of the sails--complete with the misplaced bird--or you can have the top of the sails with overcast sky.  You can't have both at the same time.  Consequently, you miss the absolute joie de vivre and cosmopolitan-ness that defines "me, me, me." Now, I'm bummed.

Moving on, I found a photo of books I had used in a "Travels With..." post a few months ago.  It's a little on the sepia side and wildly out of focus, but let's pretend it's soft and ethereal.  Books now define my Twitter Home Page and, by extension...me.  I hope it says I'm an intellectual who loves to read thick historic novels with attractive dust covers.  And that would be true.  The problem now, however, is I have to read them so slowly and carefully in order to remember a damned thing about them, it takes forever.  Age and Stage, my friends.  Age and Stage.  I think I'm going to change "Wildcard Wednesday" into Age & Stage.  It better defines what we're after here. 

Until next time...

Margie
margiestaggs44@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment