5.12.2014

"THE INTELLECTUAL DEVOTIONAL"

Did you know Verdi's "Aida" was premiered in Egypt in 1869, one year late because Verdi missed his deadline? The ruler of Egypt at the time, Khedive Ismail, had a harem so large, it filled three entire loges of the opera house built specially for said premiere. Verdi himself was so unhappy with reports of the premiere--much too showy for his taste--he quickly retired to the country and gardened for a number of years before finally returning to his composing.  Those little sidenotes are one of the few things that stay with me for years.  I love them.

Actually, my brain is nearly bursting with wonderful bits of information ever since I purchased The Intellectual Devotional a number of years ago.  I began reading it immediately, then put it down for some reason--losing complete track of it--until late last year when I picked it up again.

This morning, on Page or Day 253, which just happened to be History day, I read once again the sad tale of Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce tribe and his battle with William Tecumseh Sherman of Civil War infamy.  Outnumbered and out-gunned, Chief Joseph announced:  "I am tired.  My heart is sick and sad.  From where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever."  In little more than a decade, "forever" came to all of the Native Americans.  They were moved to their assigned reservations where even today, many remain among the most impoverished citizens of our nation.  I'm always terribly bothered by that part of our history.

Yesterday, I read about Muhammad's Wives and tomorrow I will learn more about William Shakespeare.  I look forward to my few minutes with this great compendium, although each week I struggle equally with Science Day and Philosophy Day.  Such phrases as "Categorical Imperative" or "Epistemology" make my heart sink and my head spin, but I read every word.  I will not be reporting on those things, however. 

But, were it not for Science Day, I would never have known how important "nociception" is to our very survival...nociception being the perception of pain.  If you're unfortunate enough to be born without it, you will probably not survive beyond the age of 25.  As much as we hate it, pain is a lifesaver of sorts.  Or, on another page, how much more likely we are to die of a heart attack if we believe we will die of a heart attack--four times more likely.  Put together with another book I'm currently reading and will report on later, I have decided I will not even kid about the possibility of dementia in later life.  Way too risky.

I'm now lusting for some additional "Intellection Devotionals", particularly the Biography and American History versions.  I have learned that I function much better in this world if my projects are broken down into small, easily digestible, daily bits.  I am much more likely to begin and complete whatever I approach in this way.  It's how I'm wired per my Kolbe Index...the subject for another time.

Take care!  Meet you back here soon...

Margie
margiestaggs44@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment