9.01.2014

WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY FIRST JOB

In honor of Labor Day, I've decided to join the crowd who were urged to write on the topic of:  "What I Learned From My First Job."  Actually, as I look around, I'm afraid I'm not seeing a crowd at all...and, I really can't remember if I read about this project in the newspaper or saw something on Facebook, or maybe it was TV?  I do know it was important enough for me to make a note in my calendar (write on "What I Learned..."), so let's just get on with it.

First of all, because I'm getting older every day, it took me more than a few minutes to remember just what my first job had been.  I think it was during my senior year in high school when I worked temporarily--a pretty short-lived temporarily--for a local law firm which had expressed a need to Sister Vincentia, the principal of St. Mary of the Plains High School, for a temporary worker to do some typing and filing at their office, as well as doing something connected with  micro-filming at the local courthouse. Since I often helped Sister Vincentia in her office, she recommended me for the position.  I was promised a small stipend as well as the chance to actually type like a real secretary--my life's ambition at that time.  The job would last through Christmas break and, if all went well, there might be an opportunity for part-time work after school started again.  Obviously, everything would go well.

Advice #1:  Hold down the cockiness.
Way too early on my first day at work, I discovered that typing is typing no matter what you're typing, but that attention to detail regarding format, correct spelling, and impeccable grammar were imperative for legal documents.  Missing (or misspelled) words could make or break an otherwise flawless court case.

Advice #2:  Pay close attention to instructions, take notes and ask pertinent questions.  Perfection is key.  Progress doesn't count.
In addition to typing, I was charged with filing piles of documents (legalese for papers) that had been collecting for years.  The File Room, crammed with aging, scratched and dented filing cabinets lacked windows, as well as any form of ventilation.  Those of you who believe that mindless typing is boring, have never spent endless hours filing endless piles of "documents".  When I had imagined myself as a cute, well-dressed, and efficient secretary, I had not anticipated this hell hole buried under its stacks of paper...nor me having to spend so many hours in it.

Advice #3:  Be careful what you wish for.  Case out the job before you commit.  Demand details.
Finally, the microfilm/microfiche thing at the courthouse.  This was the magnificent part of my position.  I--certainly the youngest secretary ever to enter those courthouse doors--loved the short walk from the office to that classical white marble (limestone?) building, gaining admittance and walking directly to the inner sanctum that held the microfilm/microfiche...whatever it was...machines.  It seems to me that I was given a listing of file-numbers that would match with each separate film/fiche thing that I was to copy for the office.  Roll to the correct document, press a button, and a copy would be made and delivered to the office the next morning.  Obviously, it was a detailed type of job.  One that needed to be carefully and accurately done...not so much because my time was valuable (the pittance I received was...well, a pittance), but apparently the copy fees were frighteningly steep.

Except for missing the gossip I would hear every day at the office, working at the courthouse was my favorite professional activity until...disaster struck.  Yes, I completely forgot to write down my ending file-number one afternoon and panicked the next morning as microfilm began to flash in front of my face and I had no idea where I had been or where I needed to start.  I was young.  I was scared.  I started copying anyway.  I was stupid.  I was let go.

Advice #4:  When in trouble, ask for help.  Ask quickly before things get worse.  Someone knows the answer.  In this case, yesterday's copies were at the office.  Yesterday's copies would have indicated today's starting number.  My career would have ended much differently.   Amen. 

Enjoy your long weekend!
Margie      

No comments:

Post a Comment