4.25.2016

OUR SNOWBIRDS ARE FLEEING

Despite my best resolutions, I lost the first half of April while my back was turned.  I know...I was going to stop doing that, then whumpf.  All of a sudden taxes were due, and the snowbirds who populate our lovely retirement community, were packing to leave.  Sometimes, this is a sad season for those of us left behind.

Retirement communities throughout the south report that at least half of their residents are part-timers.  Sometimes it's a few more, sometimes less.  Here, in Sun City Grand near Phoenix, we've always heard it's about 40%.  I have no reason to doubt that so I'll go with it.  In our particular cul de sac, which contains six homes, two will soon be empty.  M. and T. will go back to Iowa--although I think T. would like to stay a little longer.  As the snowbirds begin to leave, tee-times are much easier to get, and T. does love his golf. In the corner house, M. and A. have a bit more vacationing to do, but they'll be packed and on the road by mid-June.  We're luckier than some.  My friend, C., is the only person left in her neighborhood at this time of year.  That I wouldn't like.  I'm not terribly gregarious, but I do enjoy my neighbors.

I was born and raised and lived nearly my entire life in the same community in southwest Kansas.  It was a community that remained static.  If you moved there, you stayed there.  Your neighborhood was your neighborhood for years and years.  Sometimes the goings and comings in Grand are disorienting.

Tonight, we will attend a party with our Small Group to say "goodbye" to those who are leaving. We're a group of seventeen who have met together weekly for more than 15 years. One couple has already left. Two couples will stay for the duration, although both will travel during the summer.  The other thirteen members will find their way to Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, and Minnesota within a few weeks.  We'll reunite in the fall, and be happy to do so, but it's still not exactly the same.

My Book Club will grow smaller.  We expanded a bit this past spring to twelve members simply because we want to have enough to meet each summer month.  (Aside:  For those of you who are regular readers, I did suggest "Jane Eyre" for June and it was accepted!  I started reading it a week or two ago and I'm loving it.  I do think I may have left it unread all those years ago, although considering it was 1958 when I received it, who knows?)

Our Theological Discussion group dwindles down to a handful, but we have learned that makes for rich discussions that are impossible in a crowd of twenty or so.  Summer, then, can be an advantage.

My KKG Group disbands entirely, but thanks to MJ and her efforts, those of us in town meet for lunch once a month; but BC's Fishing Club simply shuts down.

It's easy to find a seat at church, but the choir goes on hiatus for lack of members.  My wonderful RISE Education classes will continue although the choices are more limited. We can find empty lanes at our lap pool nearly anytime of the day, and seldom have to wait at our local restaurants.  Some eateries (bless their hearts) extend Happy Hour in order to fill their tables; others offer additional specials.  To every season there comes some benefit.  Ours is less traffic, fewer lines, and better deals.

Ah well...it is what it is.  We'll miss our faraway friends and look forward to their return.  In the meantime, we text, e-mail, Facebook, and enjoy quieter times with our summertime friends.  And, secretly, we do take a certain pride in the fact that we are a hardy bunch--115 degrees is not for the weak of spirit.        

No comments:

Post a Comment