4.21.2016

QUOTATIONS

At writing class last week, our instructor strolled in carrying two bursting-at-the-seams shopping bags.  After a few minutes, we each took an item from one bag or the other and held it until everyone had a turn. The  shopping bags were filled with decorative miniature pillows, boxes, paintings, plaques, all with quotations written on them. Sandy loves quotations and has filled her home with favorites. Filled every nook and cranny.

Assignment Number 1:  Spend five minutes writing about the quotation we just pulled out of the sack, and then we would read what we had written.

Assignment Number 2:  We should spend the next week looking through our own homes and, assuming we were quote collectors, find a favorite and write about it.  Well--this sounded easier than some of the other assignments Sandy has handed out, so I was on board immediately because I do like to write about what a quotation might mean...at least in my rather limited little world.

So, let me say right up front, that it is no wonder I'm not living an inspired life.  My lovely two bedroom, two bath Del Webb home is very short on quotations--inspirational or otherwise.  I had nearly given up looking when I wandered into the Utility Room and there, finally, was a decorative board full of quotations beside the door to the garage so that I would always be inspired as I left to run errands. I remembered right away that I had found this little gem at Target, and as I purchased it I knew it would create a new beginning in my life.  Daily inspiration...or something like that.  So, let's take a look:

"Your Life is NOW.  Seize it and Make it AMAZING."  OK--I can do that.  Or, at the time I plopped down $40.00 for this plaque I thought I would do it.  But, over time I've simply looked past it, and all attempts at amazement-hood have gone by the wayside.  We'd better move on.

"Discover Your PASSION and Pursue It."  That is a good one, don't you think?  But, I don't know how much Passion I can really muster up at this point in my life.  I'm not sure either my sister nor I were raised with a passionate sort of mindset.  I might have to come back to it.

"Be Honest, Generous & Kind."  Well, of course, be honest, generous and kind.  That goes without saying.  We all try to be honest, generous and kind.  That's who we are.

"Be Brave & Wild At Heart."  I love that one.  I don't know if I even know anyone who is Brave and Wild at Heart, but it sounds wonderful.  Actually, I've lived through some times that required bravery simply to crawl out of bed in the morning.  I'm sure we've all experienced that.  But, Wild at Heart? Wow!  I've always been a little sad that I missed Wild.  I know there were times when my mother thought I was Wild, acted as if I were Wild, but she was wrong.  Oh, so wrong.  She had no idea what Wildness was going on in that sorority house, and I wasn't invited to be a part of it!  Sadly, I put "Wild at Heart" back on the wall.

"This is Your Time."  Well, yes it is.  It's mine, and everyone else who's still kicking time.  Live in the moment sort of time.  Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today time.  There's never a better time-time..  Tomorrow, I have to have this Assignment done time. I am in trouble time.

I'm searching my house in earnest now.  I'm down to paging through my Franklin Planner--I always order the "Seven Habits" Planner that includes a quote on each page.  If nothing else, the "Seven Habits" quotes are serious and heavy.  They're meant to be life-changing and they certainly can be, but, heavy.  A little too heavy for me..

Downhearted, I wander into my kitchen toward the refrigerator and there...  How could I have forgotten this wall-hanging?  My all time favorite quote...my mantra..my guidepost, especially for moments like this:

"POUR YOURSELF A DRINK, PUT ON SOME LIPSTICK AND PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER"  Elizabeth Taylor

And I did.

2 comments:

  1. What an all-time favorite from Elizabeth Taylor! Your instructor was inspired to think about that assignment! I love quotations, but do it the lazy way—I go online. There must be a quotation I could wisely use right here, about how taking shortcuts in life is such a sin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz was obviously a very wise woman.

    ReplyDelete